Sunday, March 9, 2014

A Day with Friends and Applique

At The Road To California Quilt Show this year, I saw Cathy Van Bruggen in her booth demonstrating her applique technique. I bought every product she sold plus her DVD. I was in love with her patterns especially the little bugs she puts in them. Imagine my surprise when. I learned that day that she teaches and lives only 20 minutes away from me!!! I signed mysel and three buddies up faster than they could think about it and WAITED for March 8th to come.

Cathy was such a wonderful hostess, we ate breakfast and lunch (included in the class cost). Her house is just beautiful, the grounds large and her sewing studio immense!

We had a morning of stems and leaves--relaxing and productive,

 

.a grand lunch, and the we learned a more challenging technique when we attempted to make a hummingbird(many parts----need much practice there!!).

 

This one is on Cathy's Van Bruggen's quilt!

This is the one I made:

Alot of practice needed!!! It would also help if I put the hummingbird's belly in the bottom instead of the top! Oh brother.......
I WILL eventually have a block that looks like this:
God willing!
Anyhow, we had a wonderful day, full of learning and laughter.....isn't that what it's all about?

 

Cathy, hands on showing us how to put her pattern to cloth.

 

 

 

 

 

 

2 comments:

  1. Lots of fun, many good hearty laughs. We came home with very little sewn, but lots of newly learned techniques. A great day!!!

    "T"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jo that looks great! Love seeing all you do. I brag about you constantly. Love you! What a great day!

    ReplyDelete